S-40 (1st Revision)
- United States of America (USA)
- Manufacturer / Brand
- Hallicrafters, The; Chicago, IL and Arlington/Grand Prairie, TX
- Amateur-Receiver (amateur bands, may include broadcast bands)
- Radiomuseum.org ID
Click on the schematic thumbnail to request the schematic as a free document.
- Number of Tubes
- Main principle
- Superhet with RF-stage; ZF/IF 455 kHz; 2 AF stage(s)
- Tuned circuits
- 9 AM circuit(s)
- Wave bands
- Broadcast, Short Wave(s) and Police.
- Power type and voltage
- Alternating Current supply (AC) / 117 Volt
- Permanent Magnet Dynamic (PDyn) Loudspeaker (moving coil) / Ø 5 inch = 12.7 cm
- Power out
- 2.5 W (unknown quality)
- Metal case
- from Radiomuseum.org
- Model: S-40 - Hallicrafters, The; Chicago,
- Tablemodel, low profile (big size).
- Dimensions (WHD)
- 470 x 229 x 279 mm / 18.5 x 9 x 11 inch
Hallicrafters S-40 (1st Revision) used a Permanent Magnet (PM) Speaker. It retained the chassis Speaker Socket and the Speaker cable assembly Plug.
The following table lists some of the easy-to-identify differences of the S-40 versions.
Additional circuit differences (resistors, capacitors, wiring) are not described here; refer to the schmatics for additional differences. Note that the "U" model used a Universal power transformer (120/240 volts; 25-60 Hz) for export and it is unknown which S-40 versions had a "U" version.
Refer to S-40 (Original) for the Guide to Identifying Hallicrafters S-40 Versions document.
S-40 Model Differences Model Tubes Rectifier
S-40 (Original) 9 80 FC Y TOP S-40 (1st Revision) 9 80 PM Y TOP S-40 (2nd Revision) 9 80 PM N
TOP S-40U 9 80 ? ? TOP
Coverage: 0.550-1.7, 1.68-5.4, 5.3-15.8, 15.3-44MHz;
Socket for external S-Meter SM 40.
Cabinet design by Raymond Loewy.
Included in New York's Museum of Modern Art Collection.
- Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg)
- 12.9 kg / 28 lb 6.6 oz (28.414 lb)
- Price in first year of sale
- 79.50 $
- Source of data
- Communications Receivers
- Circuit diagram reference
- Rider's Perpetual, Volume 15 = 1947 and before
- Mentioned in
- Radio Retailing (Radio & Television R.) (May 1946 page 48.)
- Literature/Schematics (1)
- The Spectrum Monitor, June 2020, p 83-88, Adventures in Radio Restoration [S-40] by Rich Post KB8TAD
- Literature/Schematics (2)
- Radios by hallicrafters (2nd Edition, pgs. 49-50)
- Literature/Schematics (3)
- Photofact Folder, Howard W. SAMS (Set 2, Folder 19, Jan 1947)
- Model page created by a member from D. See "Data change" for further contributors.
- Other Models
Here you find 877 models, 453 with images and 453 with schematics for wireless sets etc. In French: TSF for Télégraphie sans fil.
All listed radios etc. from Hallicrafters, The; Chicago, IL and Arlington/Grand Prairie, TX