PRC-6 RT-196 / PRC-6
- United States of America (USA)
- Manufacturer / Brand
- MILITARY U.S. (different makers for same model)
- Military Equipment (not Re, Tr or RXT)
- Radiomuseum.org ID
Click on the schematic thumbnail to request the schematic as a free document.
- Number of Tubes
- Main principle
- Transceiver; ZF/IF 4300 kHz; 1 AF stage(s)
- Tuned circuits
- 8 FM circuit(s)
- Wave bands
- Wave Bands given in the notes.
- Power type and voltage
- Dry Batteries / 1,5 & 45 & 90 Volt
- - only for Earphone! / Ø 3 cm = 1.2 inch
- Power out
- 0.25 W (unknown quality)
- Metal case
- from Radiomuseum.org
- Model: PRC-6 RT-196 / PRC-6 - MILITARY U.S. different makers
- Portable set > 8 inch (also usable without mains)
- Dimensions (WHD)
- 108 x 375 x 121 mm / 4.3 x 14.8 x 4.8 inch
RT-196/PRC-6 is a miniaturized portable handy-talkie for FM-communication over a distance of about 1 mile max.
The working frequency is crystal controlled. One of 43 possible channels can be used in the 47-55,4 MHz range by fitting one out of 43 crystals, type CR-23/U. Channel spacing is 200 kHz. Modulation FM (F3).
The internal multi-voltage battery BA-270 feeds the unit.
The antenna is a 51 cm flat whip with a 50 ohm BNC connector. Telephone and microphone can be switched from internal to a handset H-33(*)/PT. A volume-control is present.
All tubes, exept 3B4, are SQ-subminiature B5. Each tubecode listed only once.
The net weight given is inclusive the battery and handset.
With 3.2 kg this set is nowadays considered a "boat-anchor portophone".
Hams could have used surplus sets in the 6 meter band.
- Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg)
- 3.2 kg / 7 lb 0.8 oz (7.048 lb)
- Literature/Schematics (1)
- -- Original-techn. papers. (TM11-296 1951 / TM11-4069 1952)
- Model page created by Jan Terranea. See "Data change" for further contributors.
- Other Models
Here you find 362 models, 317 with images and 173 with schematics for wireless sets etc. In French: TSF for Télégraphie sans fil.
All listed radios etc. from MILITARY U.S. (different makers for same model)