grundig: 5199WE (5199 WE); Majestic

ID: 182137
grundig: 5199WE (5199 WE); Majestic 
24.Jan.09 01:00

Charles Jones (USA)
Articles: 30
Count of Thanks: 11

Can someone tell me where I can purchase 7-prong speaker connectors such as are used on this receiver/amplifier? I'd also like to know what pins are used and for what purpose. Thank you.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

7-pin or 6-pin connectors 
11.Feb.09 05:40

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Count of Thanks: 8
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Hello Charles,

I respectfully defer to our esteemed Grundig engineer Herr Hans Knoll for confirmation or support to your question but I will try to help in some small way. . . . . .

I do not profess to be very well qualified to authoritatively discuss the audio output connectors on the Majestic 5199 or 5299 series of receiver /amplifiers: however, I may be mistaken concerning the 7-pin connector which you describe. . . . .could it be they are actually the 6-pin Leslie-type connectors with the small indexing "pin or orifice" which were frequently added to the left and right output channels on many hi-figh fidelity audio products.

If that is so, then I offer some notes from vintage Hammond and Wurlitzer, and Leslie organs in the below paragraphs; addition to some references to the RMOrg Grundig data files pertaining to the Nachhall Verstarker HV1 system and Nachhall System HS1. The control knob Echo on some Grundig models - especially the Grundig 529X models.

Consequently, I believe your specific connections may follow those identified in the Dual Channel Interface configuration below.

6-PIN Audio Plug and Socket configurations for tone cabinets (speaker enclosures or related to Hammond, Wurlitzer or Leslie Organs). Sometimes the multi-pin connectors are used to connect the Reverberation, Echo, or Hall effect circuits used by some high fidelity radio manufacturers.

The following information briefly describes three versions of some typical systems, each for a different family of tone (audio) cabinets.

Balanced Interface - For Hammond Organs because of their balanced output.  Includes Models: 30A, 30C, 31A, 31H, 21H, 22H, 22R, 122, 122R, 122V, 122RV, 142, 222, 222RV, 242 and current 122A, 122A-T.

NOTE: Early "30" series models below serial number 5200 were not designed to be used with a console connector kit.  They must be connected to a Hammond Tone Cabinet socket unless they are modified by the addition of blocking capacitors on the input, or one of Leslie's original adapters (NLA) is installed.

Unbalanced Interface - Designed so that Leslies would be compatible with Wurlitzer organs, later these models were used on a wide variety of organs.  For this reason, the Unbalanced Interface is sometimes referred to as Universal.  Includes Models: 25, 31W, 44W, 46W, 45, 47, 47R, 110, 112, 114, 116, 120, 120C, 125, 225, 145, 147, 147V, 147RV, 245, 247, 247RV, and current 147A.

NOTE: Early models could be ordered without a power amplifier.  Models without power amplifiers have the speaker(s) connected directly to pins 1 and 6.

Dual Channel Interface - Actually a derivative of the Unbalanced interface.  Wiring has been rearranged to allow two audio inputs instead of one.  This was done to accommodate Conn's two channel organs.  Again, this system found it's way onto other organs, for example the Hammond A-100.  Includes Models: 50C, 55C, 51C, 251, and 351.

NOTE: The Model 55C has no reverberation relay and pin 2 is not connected.  With the 55C, reverberation is accomplished by switching audio channels at the organ.

Pin #    Color    Balanced            Unbalanced                    Dual Channel
1        Black    1 of 2 Audio           Ground                        Ground   
2        Yellow    Ground             1 of 2 Reverb                 1 of 2 Reverb relay
3        Gray    1 of 2 Mains         1 of 2 Mains           see  NOTE 1 below
4        Blue    2 of 2 Mains         2 of 2 Mains                   2 of 2 Mains
5        Brown    B+                        2 of 2 Reverb relay        Audio (Stationary)
6        Red    2 of 2 Audio        Audio                            Audio (Rotary)

NOTE 1: On many 2 channel cabinets, pin 3 will serve as one half of the AC power (MAINS) and as one half of the Reverb Relay circuit.  On these models it is necessary to connect whichever "side" of the mains is attached to pin 4, to a speed control switch.  The circuit is completed by routing the power from the switch to pin 2.

You may wish to review the connectors offered at the following web site:
http://www.ultraelectronicactive.com/Vintage-Cables+Connectors.html#Leslie-Connectors

Respectfully,
Robert

? many thanks 
11.Feb.09 09:15

Charles Jones (USA)
Count of Thanks: 6

hi, robert.

thanks very much for taking the time to offer this very comprehensive response. the tuner i have will take much time to bring to life, i think. but when it's done, i see no reason why it shouldn't be a very fine stereo amplifier/receiver. i've never seen another like it and, given the superb engineering of other grundig products, i'm confident it will prove well-worth whatever time and cost are required to get it working again. also, the website you've posted looks to be a good source for all manner of connectors, and i'm sure i'll use it in future. again, thanks for your generous answer.

all best,

charles

Information 
11.Feb.09 12:41

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Hans M. Knoll

Hello Robert.

I am working for a Answer or Info for this special Grundig Connectors.

HANS

EDIT: robert the right Connnector ist used here,

Its only in german language.

Attachments:

? Greetings - and Information Followup  
11.Feb.09 15:08

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Warm Greetings to you Hans,

I stand corrected - the connector Charles is asking about is a 7-pin connector according to the Grunding schematic 80-1237-1101/S...... Grundchassis 19-8013-1001/S

I thank you so much for everything that you and Ernest and all  of the members have done for me. . . .I did not take the time last night to completely provide every piece of information that I have to allow Charles to search within all areas to find his answer.

I found the answer to his question in my early searches to find the Echo information in my old Grundig Majestic 5299U/S data files and one forum posting from year 2006.

I have seen only one RMOrg forum posting which relates to Mr Jones request. See post at Grundig NF 2/20 wo verbaut?

The 7-pin connector which Charles is referring to is very clearly depicted on the Grundig schematic for the Grundig Rundfunk- Empfangsteil HF1. Upon very closeup examination the pin appears to be the International octal base with pin number 1 omitted and the following 7 pins (numbered 2 through 8) are color coded as follows:

2 - red; 3- blue; 4- white; 5-white; 6-brown; 7- black; 8 - no connection

Since the importers of the "Majestic" models  produced the schematics for the 5199 and 5299 models, I believe the connector and cables may have been one of the "Leslie-type" 7-pins. That makes this query a most interesting one. 

Respectfully,

Robert

shifting up 
14.Feb.09 15:29

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Count of Thanks: 5
Hans M. Knoll

Vielen Dank! 
16.Feb.09 06:19

Charles Jones (USA)
Count of Thanks: 3

thank you, herr knoll, for your very helpful diagrams and descriptions. thank you, robert, for stepping in as intermediary and for your very helpful explanations.

charles

final 
16.Feb.09 09:32

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Count of Thanks: 4
Hans M. Knoll

Hello Charles, I wish you good results during the work
Hans