radiomuseum.org
Please click your language flag. Bitte Sprachflagge klicken.

grundig: Grundig Satellit 650 S-Meter Problem

Moderators:
Martin Renz Ernst Erb Vincent de Franco Martin Bösch Bernhard Nagel Otmar Jung Heribert Jung Eilert Menke 

Please click the blue info button to read more about this page.
Forum » Radios and other type of sets (Physics) etc. » MODELS DISPLAYED » grundig: Grundig Satellit 650 S-Meter Problem

Fred Eddie-Quartey

USA  Articles: 6
Schem.: 0
Pict.: 145
08.May.18 20:46

Count of Thanks: 10
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   1

Hello All,

I have just acquired a Grundig Satellit 650 International and all functions seem to work very well, with the exception of the s-meter.  The s-meter does not seem to register any signal on any wave band, regardless of the strength of the in-coming stations.  I have tested with both the internal antenna and an external one but there is barely any movement from the needle. 

I did notice that when I am listening to any of the AM wavebands, and I have MGC switched on full, the s-meter deflets all the way to 10.  If I tune across the band, the meter moves back and forth between 0 and 10 as noise or weak/strong stations is received.  On FM it barely moves beyond 0, if at all.

Any clues as to what is wrong?

I appreaciate your advice/assistance.

Thanks,

Fred.

Fred Eddie-Quartey

14.May.18 00:33

Count of Thanks: 12
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   2

Hello,

After a little research, I was able to find a service manual and found the trimmer pots for adjusting the s-meter on AM and FM.  Now the meter works as it should!  Almost.  I noticed that sometimes, if I change wave bands, the meter stops working.  Other times, it works fine.  Still puzzled as to what is going on.

Thanks,

Fred.

Steve Rowley

GB  Articles: 24
Schem.:
Pict.: 8
28.Sep.20 12:30

Count of Thanks: 8
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   3

Mine was like that. It was a faulty meter. I had to find another.

Fred Eddie-Quartey

03.Mar.22 20:21
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   4

Thanks Steve.

Martin Bösch
Martin Bösch
CH  Articles: 594
Schem.: 105
Pict.: 2352
08.Mar.22 18:02
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   5

IF you switch to MGC (Manual Gain Control), it is the usual behaviour in shortwave receivers that the S Meter deflects to full, if you decrease the RF Gain.

So I think, there might be a problem with the signal from the AGC amplifier fed to the S meter driver amplifier. But I'm not an electronics expert...

At least, if you switch to MGC and the S meter moves to full deflection, the instrument itself is probably working.

Only my five cents, kind regards Martin

Fred Eddie-Quartey

23.Mar.22 14:10
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   6

Thanks Martin.

rmXorg