grundig: Grundig Satellit 650 S-Meter Problem

ID: 465471
? grundig: Grundig Satellit 650 S-Meter Problem 
08.May.18 20:46

Fred Eddie-Quartey (USA)
Articles: 6
Count of Thanks: 10

Hello All,

I have just acquired a Grundig Satellit 650 International and all functions seem to work very well, with the exception of the s-meter.  The s-meter does not seem to register any signal on any wave band, regardless of the strength of the in-coming stations.  I have tested with both the internal antenna and an external one but there is barely any movement from the needle. 

I did notice that when I am listening to any of the AM wavebands, and I have MGC switched on full, the s-meter deflets all the way to 10.  If I tune across the band, the meter moves back and forth between 0 and 10 as noise or weak/strong stations is received.  On FM it barely moves beyond 0, if at all.

Any clues as to what is wrong?

I appreaciate your advice/assistance.

Thanks,

Fred.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

14.May.18 00:33
135 from 2189

Fred Eddie-Quartey (USA)
Articles: 6
Count of Thanks: 12

Hello,

After a little research, I was able to find a service manual and found the trimmer pots for adjusting the s-meter on AM and FM.  Now the meter works as it should!  Almost.  I noticed that sometimes, if I change wave bands, the meter stops working.  Other times, it works fine.  Still puzzled as to what is going on.

Thanks,

Fred.

28.Sep.20 12:30
779 from 2189

Steve Rowley (GB)
Articles: 24
Count of Thanks: 9

Mine was like that. It was a faulty meter. I had to find another.

08.Mar.22 18:02
1336 from 2189

Martin Bösch (CH)
Articles: 622
Martin Bösch

IF you switch to MGC (Manual Gain Control), it is the usual behaviour in shortwave receivers that the S Meter deflects to full, if you decrease the RF Gain.

So I think, there might be a problem with the signal from the AGC amplifier fed to the S meter driver amplifier. But I'm not an electronics expert...

At least, if you switch to MGC and the S meter moves to full deflection, the instrument itself is probably working.

Only my five cents, kind regards Martin