saba: Stereo 11; 400 Automatic

ID: 53435
This article refers to the model: 400 Automatic Stereo 11 (SABA; Villingen)

saba: Stereo 11; 400 Automatic 
28.May.05 22:55

Karl Schmitz (USA)
Articles: 41
Count of Thanks: 12

The export model of the Freiburg 11, U.S. President John F. Kennedy is said to have owned a like model.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Auto-tuning glitch 
26.Nov.06 18:42

Karl Schmitz (USA)
Count of Thanks: 9

I own the above-pictured set, which has recently been electronically restored by Bob Eslinger, of Antique Radio Restoration & Repair: www.oldradiodoc.com

It performs, magnificently, except that when using the auto-tune feature on the front of the set, it "flies" past all stations, going UP the dial band; seek, NO stop.  It does, however, work perfectly, using the corded remote, in both directions.  Other than this, it plays like new.

What would cause this, and is there a fix?  Thanx!

Dial Marker Indicators 
26.Nov.06 18:46

Karl Schmitz (USA)
Count of Thanks: 4

Would anyone have any extra numbered plastic dial markers available for this set?  I believe a full set included 18 markers; I have but 2.  They snap onto the parallel tracks under the plastic cover for the FM dial.  Thanx!

Saba Automatik 
27.Nov.06 00:28

Martin Renz (D)
Officer
Articles: 694
Count of Thanks: 7
Martin Renz

Hello Karl,

There is a thread about repair of the Saba auto-tune system, it's  in German language. You can find it here. May be a translation tool can help you understanding it. At the Freiburg 125 and Freiburg 7 Models you can find a description of the auto-tune system. (saba_freiburg_125W_Suchl1.pdf   to   saba_freiburg_125W_Suchl4.pdf) and at Freiburg 7 (d_saba_1957_suchlauf_sch1.pdf   to   d_saba_1957_suchlauf_sch4.pdf)
These are in German as well and not on a text base, so translation will be more difficult. I could help you with OCR if needed. On the other hand, your name sounds German, may be you don't need any help with translations?

I myself have a Freiburg 100 with the same auto-tune and I made it working. But I wouldn't call me an expert in doing this. You better ask somebody else in helping you to understand how it works.

best regards
Martin Renz

08.Dec.06 13:02

Dennis Daly (USA)
Articles: 31
Count of Thanks: 4

Hello Karl
 I suggest to check all the mechanical pivot points for the linkage being controlled by the on-board auto-tuning push bars located at the lower front.
 My limited experience has shown these to often become too stiff, or bind,  for proper operation.
In extreme cases, depressing an auto tuning bar will cause the radio to become mute (a normal function during auto-tune mode,)-  and remain  silent until the linkage is physically manipulated or assisted back to the resting position..Something it should do by itself after releasing  any tuning bars that were depressed by the operator.
 Good luck solving your problem.
 Den

09.Dec.06 14:52

Karl Schmitz (USA)
Count of Thanks: 5

Thanks, Den.  Given that it functions, fine, using the corded remote, it sounds worthwhile to consider investigating your suggestion.  I appreciate your reply.

Karl

05.Jul.07 04:15

Michael Wolfe (USA)
Articles: 7
Count of Thanks: 8

Hi Karl,

Congratulations on such a wonderful set! I just received mine back from repair/electrical restoration today. My set had the exact same problem as yours! Rest easy in knowing that it inherent within the design of the set at the time. Jeff at the San Diego Antique Radio Store (who did the work on mine) explained everything to me as to why these are doing this and most of the explanation was above my technical expertise or I would fully explain it here, but this gentleman is genius, as he resolved the problem, and now my set not only runs up and down the dial quickly and smoothly on all bands, but also runs slowly as it should when needed, and now also stops perfectly on all the stations! If you would like to e-mail me privately I will be happy to pass along his contact information to you.

Regards,

Michael

Re: San Diego Contact? 
05.Jul.07 21:11

Karl Schmitz (USA)
Count of Thanks: 3

Thanx, Michael, I'd appreciate it.  I broke a recently broke a dial string on this set, when the auto-tuning did not properly stop. :\ It's currently on the East coast, receiving further attention.

Karl Schmitz

06.Jul.07 09:48

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Articles: 429
Count of Thanks: 6
Omer Suleimanagich

You can contact Ross in Mass., at Bavarian Radio.  He is an RMorg member that has helped me many times in the past, with  just an email.

Omer

Re: Ross Hochstrasser 
12.Jul.07 23:42

Karl Schmitz (USA)
Count of Thanks: 6

Thanx, Omer.  I have previously communicated with Ross, though not on this particular topic.

Karl Schmitz