stern-sonn: 697/75GWU 3D; Sekretär III

ID: 166046
stern-sonn: 697/75GWU 3D; Sekretär III 
16.Jun.08 23:19

Timo Haveri (FIN)
Articles: 15
Count of Thanks: 2

I'm restoring a Sekretär III 697/75GWU 3D radio. There wasn't a schematic for this model in RMorg but I used a schematic for model Sekretär III 697/62GWU which I believe to be close enough. There are no component values in the schematic and I need to know the value of one resistor. It is burned open and the markings are no longer visible. I think it is R11 in the schematic (in the lower left corner, antenna circuit). I have no idea how it got burned. There is no visible damage in the other components.

Also I removed the 50 + 100 uF electrolytic capacitor can but I forgot to look which one is the first and which one is the second filter. I'm guessing that the 100 uF is the first. Am I right?

The final question is about the half wave selenium rectifier. I measured its resistance with a digital ohm meter and I got 1.3 megaohms in the other direction and 1.6 megaohms in the other. I assume that it is bad?

All answers will be greatly appreciated.

Timo

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

17.Jun.08 15:56

Martin Renz (D)
Officer
Articles: 694
Count of Thanks: 3
Martin Renz

Hello Timo,
you can use the schematic of the 697/77 GWU Sekretär 4 modell. The component values are added there.

You can't check a selenium rectifier with a digital ohm meter. Check the anode voltages instead. If they all are too low, or the rectifier gets hot, this indicates a possibly bad rectifier.

For more information look here and may be here and here (about restauration in general by Hans Knoll)

17.Jun.08 20:46

Timo Haveri (FIN)
Articles: 15
Count of Thanks: 2

Thank you Martin. I have checked selenium bridge rectifiers before with a digital meter and they behaved just like normal diodes. None of them showed reverse leakage but this one does. I'll try carefully how the original rectifier performs. I already tried the radio with a silicon diode + resistor and it worked but quite weakly. It seems that the volume potentiometer has some problems. And it needs a new UM80 eye tube. Maybe some other tube is also bad.

Timo