Consort J8-1B Ch= J8
- Manufacturer / Brand
- His Master's Voice (HMV, H.M.V.), EMI (Australia) Ltd.; Sydney, NSW
- Broadcast Receiver - or past WW2 Tuner
- Radiomuseum.org ID
Click on the schematic thumbnail to request the schematic as a free document.
- Number of Transistors
- Main principle
- Superheterodyne (common); ZF/IF 455 kHz; 3 AF stage(s)
- Tuned circuits
- 1 AM circuit(s)
- Wave bands
- Broadcast only (MW).
- Power type and voltage
- Dry Batteries / 9 Volt
- Permanent Magnet Dynamic (PDyn) Loudspeaker (moving coil) - elliptical
- Leather / canvas / plastic - over other material
- from Radiomuseum.org
- Model: Consort J8-1B Ch= J8 - His Master's Voice HMV, H.M.V.
- Portable set > 8 inch (also usable without mains)
- Dimensions (WHD)
- 10.625 x 5.75 x 3.5 inch / 270 x 146 x 89 mm
His Master's Voice J8-1B "Consort"
A seven transistor, two diode portable radio housed in a stitched leather case in tan or red, front treated with gold trim. A "swing-up" carrying handle is provided for easy portability.
Features: tuned RF stage and high performance IF channel. A complimentary symmetry push-pull circuit for less audio distortion and battery consumption. Controls: three-roller type knobs for tuning, tone and combined volume/On-Off. dial scale is divided straight line, having two pointers with separated groupings for each State. A scale marked in kC/s (kHz) is also available. Built-in Ferrite rod aerial. Socket for car aerial or external aerial and earth. Speaker, 7" x 4" elliptical with high flux magnet.
A heavy portable with a diecast front panel. High impedance 30 ohm elliptical speaker
Battery types: Eveready 276P, Berec PP20, National 306S, Ray-O-Vac RR76P & Toshiba T306S.
Price includes battery. Weight is with battery. Price after the introduction of decimal currency in Australia (14/2/1966) was $60.90
See also model Consort JG-1P with the model name on the right side.
- Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg)
- 5 lb 4 oz (5.25 lb) / 2.384 kg
- Price in first year of sale
- 30.45 AUS £
- Mentioned in
- Mingay's Price Service (Feb 1963 to Aug 1967.)
- Literature/Schematics (1)
- -- Original-techn. papers. (HMV Service Manual for Chassis Type J8.)
- Literature/Schematics (2)
- -- Original-techn. papers. (HMV Model Sheet for J8-1B.)
- Literature/Schematics (3)
- J.R. Publications Transistor Radio Service Handbook (Supplement to Vol. 1, 1960, Page H14)
- Literature/Schematics (4)
- J.R. Publications Transistor Radio Service Handbook (Handbook A Series, Page H37.)
- Model page created by a member from A. See "Data change" for further contributors.
- Other Models
Here you find 577 models, 364 with images and 227 with schematics for wireless sets etc. In French: TSF for Télégraphie sans fil.
All listed radios etc. from His Master's Voice (HMV, H.M.V.), EMI (Australia) Ltd.; Sydney, NSW