Test Set Type 98
- Great Britain (UK)
- Manufacturer / Brand
- Unknown - CUSTOM BUILT: GB
- 1943 ??
- Military Equipment (not Re, Tr or RXT)
- Radiomuseum.org ID
- Number of Tubes
- Valves / Tubes
- Wave bands
- Wave Bands given in the notes.
- Power type and voltage
- Batteries / addl. power jack / 1,5, 60 Volt
- Metal case
- from Radiomuseum.org
- Model: Test Set Type 98 - Unknown - CUSTOM BUILT: GB
- Very small Portable or Pocket-Set (Handheld) < 8 inch.
- Dimensions (WHD)
- 170 x 200 x 170 mm / 6.7 x 7.9 x 6.7 inch
The Test Set Type 98 is a UK Air Ministry portable tuneable field strength meter that can be used for adjusting VHF transmitters and antennas. The tuning dial is simply calibrated 0 to 10 and exact frequency coverage is not known. It uses a single 1N5G valve as detector, powered from 1.5v LT and 60v HT dry batteries that are housed within the case. The unit is tropicalised.
A 4-section whip antenna can be plugged into a socket on top of the case, while the bottom of the case has a socket for a tripod.
The anode current of the detector valve is indicated by a 1 mA fsd moving coil meter, or an external meter can be plugged in for remote indication. A jack is also provided to allow modulated signals to be monitored with headphones.
As can be seen in the internal photo, the unit can be readily modernised by replacing the valve with three transistors, and the battery compartment is the correct size for housing two 6v PP1 batteries in place of the original LT and HT ones.
- Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg)
- 4 kg / 8 lb 13 oz (8.811 lb)
- Model page created by Bruce Taylor. See "Data change" for further contributors.
- Other Models
Here you find 111 models, 99 with images and 10 with schematics for wireless sets etc. In French: TSF for Télégraphie sans fil.
All listed radios etc. from Unknown - CUSTOM BUILT: GB