- United States of America (USA)
- Manufacturer / Brand
- Lafayette Radio & TV Corp; New York (NY)
- Broadcast Receiver - or past WW2 Tuner
- Radiomuseum.org ID
- alternative name: Wholesale Radio
Click on the schematic thumbnail to request the schematic as a free document.
- Number of Tubes
- Main principle
- Superhet with RF-stage; ZF/IF 456 kHz; 2 AF stage(s)
- Tuned circuits
- 8 AM circuit(s)
- Wave bands
- Broadcast, Long Wave and more than two Short Wave bands.
- Power type and voltage
- AC/DC-set / 110-120 Volt
- Electro Magnetic Dynamic LS (moving-coil with field excitation coil) / Ø 10 inch = 25.4 cm
- Wooden case
- from Radiomuseum.org
- Model: C-84 - Lafayette Radio & TV Corp; New
- Tablemodel, high profile (upright - NOT Cathedral nor decorative).
- Dimensions (WHD)
- 15.5 x 20.5 x 12 inch / 394 x 521 x 305 mm
- The Lafayette C-83 is the chassis only including speaker and tubes with five tuning bands and model C-84 is the mantel model. They have a class "A-" power output with 4 tubes 43. Coverage is 8 - 16 m (yes, the schematic shows 36 - 18 mc and calls it Ultra Short Wave), 16 - 57.5 m, 57.5 - 187 m, broadcast 187 - 555 m and long wave 850 - 2050 m.
The Lafayette model C-84 with chassis C-83 is at least nearly similar to the "Radio Wire" model C-83, which in turn is similar to the Garod 514. Lafayette used also the brand Radio Wire, the manufacturer behind was here Garod. Info from Riders Perpetual Garod 7-14 through 7-18, drawn on November 1, 1935.
See the difference between the picture of the Lafayette catalog for C-84, missing the two "bull eyes" at the side of the airplane dial (propeller), but shown on an actual Lafayette C-84 we display here. The left is for a changing light and the right one for the Shadowgraph tuning indicator., driven by the tube 6C5. But the wording reads: "It is THE FIRST HIGH-FIDELITY AC-DC RECEIVER WITH SHADOWGRAPH TUNING." That is true for Lafayette only. Is the mentioning of "and 1-6E5 Shadowgraph Control Tube" just a spelling error for 6C5? The 6E5 is then the brand new magic eye ... The chassis C-83 is listed $ 115.00 and Lafayette price $ 57.50 and the C-84 mantel model for 129.00 with a Lafayette price of $ 64.50. See details for the models of this catalog or summaries.
- Price in first year of sale
- 65.00 $
- Circuit diagram reference
- Rider's Perpetual, Volume 7 = 1936 and before
- Mentioned in
- Machine Age to Jet Age II (page 177.)
- Literature/Schematics (1)
- Lafayette Radio Catalog (Lafayette catalog no. 59 for 1936 page 28. See Garod 7-14, ref from Radio Wire in Riders.)
- Model page created by Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014. See "Data change" for further contributors.
- Other Models
Here you find 1330 models, 1146 with images and 404 with schematics for wireless sets etc. In French: TSF for Télégraphie sans fil.
All listed radios etc. from Lafayette Radio & TV Corp; New York (NY)
Forum contributions about this model: Lafayette Radio & TV: C-84
Threads: 1 | Posts: 2
In the radio I am repairing the primary coil of the transformer was broken. After disassembly of the transformer iron the number of windings were counted and the diameter of the wire was measured. For comfort at reconstruction time, two flanges were added. The primary has 2400 turns, the secondary 2 x 5300 turns. Wire diameter for all coils 0.07 mm.
Eduard Hontele, 14.Mar.09