|Name:||Emerson Radio & Phonograph Corp.; New York (NY) (USA)|
|Brand:||Emersonette || Jewel || Mickey-Mouse|
|Products:||Model types Tube manufacturer|
Emerson Radio & Phonograph Corporation. (also called: Emerson Corporation); 111 8th Avenue, New York City -
In the August 1926, McGraw-Hill Radio Trade Catalog on page 211 the Emerson Radio && Phonograph Corporation was located at 309 Sixth Avenue in New York City, New York.
Wikipedia [Nov 19, 2009, EE]:
Emerson RadioEmerson Radio Corporation (AMEX: MSN) was founded in 1948. It is one of the United States' largest volume consumer electronics distributors and has a recognized trademark in continuous use since 1912. The company designs, markets and licenses many product lines worldwide, including products sold, and sometimes licensed, under the brand name G Clef, a homage to Emerson's logo.
History1915 - 1920
Emerson Radio Corp. was incorporated in 1915 as Emerson Phonograph Co. (NAICS: 421620 Consumer Electronics Wholesaling), based in New York City, by an early recording engineer and executive, Victor Hugo Emerson, who was at one time employed by Columbia Records. The first factories were opened in Chicago and Boston, in 1920. In December of that year, the company fell victim to the unanticipated sales slump for phonograph music that accompanied the post-World War I recession and the growth of commercial radio. It went from the self-claimed third largest record manufacturer into receivership.
See also the separate story from Wikipedia below under Emerson Records.
1921 - 1940
In 1922 Emerson Phonograph Co. passed into the hands of Benjamin Abrams and Rudolph Kanarak. Abrams, a phonograph and record salesman, along with his two brothers, ran the company and renamed it Emerson Radio & Phonograph Corp in 1924 after entering the radio business. The company's record interests were subsequently sold. Although Emerson introduced the first radio-phonograph combination sold in the United States, the company remained in obscurity until 1932, when, during the Great Depression, it introduced the "peewee" radio (see "Historical Products" below).
1941 - 1950
Emerson Radio & Phonograph converted to military production for World War II in 1942, when it held one-sixth of the U.S. radio market. In 1943, it became a public corporation, when it offered over 40 percent of its stock to the public for $12 a share. In 1947, among its first post-war products, Emerson offered a television set with a 10-inch tube. Although its ending retail price was nearly equal to a months salary for the average working American, it put Emerson at the lower end of the market. However, between fiscal 1948 and 1950, the high demand for television allowed Emerson to more than double its sales. Its net income reached a record of $6.5 million in fiscal 1950, with sales of $74.2 million.
1951 - 1960
In 1953 Emerson Radio and Phonograph purchased Quiet Heet Corp., which entered the company into air conditioning. Although radio represented only 15 percent of Emerson's revenue by 1954, the company credited itself as creating the firsts of the clock radio, self-powered radio, and transistorized pocket radio. And production of tape recorders began in 1955.
Emerson Radio and Phonograph paid $6 million to purchase the consumer products division of Allen B. DuMont Laboratories, Inc. in 1958. With this acquisition, a higher-priced line of television sets, phonographs and high-fidelity and stereo instruments, along with the DuMont trademark was added to Emerson's products. Unfortunately, by this time, almost every U.S. household that wanted a TV set already had one, and many customers who were in need of another set were waiting for color television instead of buying a replacement. Sales fell from $87.4 million in fiscal 1955 to $73.9 million in fiscal 1956, when the company earned a paltry $84,852.
A cost-cutting campaign by Abrams rebounded net income which reached $2.7 million in fiscal 1959 on sales of $67.4 million. In fiscal 1964 (Emerson's last full year of independent operation) it earned $2.1 million on sales of $68.2 million.
Emerson RecordsEmerson Records was a record label active in the United States between 1916 to 1928. Emerson Records produced between the 1910s and early 1920s offered generally above average audio fidelity for the era, pressed in high quality shellac. The fidelity of the later issues compares less favorably.
Emerson was founded by Victor H. Emerson, an employee for Columbia Records from the 1890s. In 1916 he began his namesake company, producing 7-inch gramophone record that sold for 25 cents each and 5½-inch discs that sold for 10 cents each. Early fare included popular tunes, dance numbers and patriotic marches, mostly recorded by small groups of unnamed musicians hired in New York City. They were credited as the "Emerson Orchestra" or sometimes grandly, "The Emerson Symphony Orchestra". In January 1918 Emerson added a line of 9-inch records that sold for 75 cents. After World War I, Emerson began an ambitious expansion of the business, and in 1919 it finally introduced a line of common industry standard 10-inch discs for 85 cents and increased to one dollar the following year.
The year 1919 saw the debut of a series of 12-inch Emerson discs, mostly of Classical music, retailing for US$1.25. At the same time, more popular "big name" artists were hired to record for the label including Wilbur Sweatman, Eddie Cantor, the Six Brown Brothers, and the Louisiana Five. Somewhat later, the label also recorded Lizzie Miles, Eubie Blake, Fletcher Henderson, and the Original Memphis Five.
Other noteworthy artists who recorded for Emerson included John W. Myers, Henry Burr and The Peerless Quartet, Billy Golden, Collins & Harlan, Sally Hamlin, Dan Quinn, Sam Ash, Vernon Dalhart, Van & Schenk, Ada Jones, and Homer Rodeheaver.
In May 1920, Emerson opened a second recording studio in Los Angeles, California. Emerson's expansions over-extended the company finances and forced it into receivership in 1921. In May 1922 investors Benjamin Abrams and Rudolph Kararek purchased the Emerson Company for US$50,000 and raised an additional US$200,000 of capital to revive the business. Emerson records were then sold for 50 cents each. In 1924 the investors sold Emerson to the Scranton Button Company of Scranton, Pennsylvania. About this time, electric microphones replaced mechanical recording techniques, and Emerson switched to the new method of sound recording in 1926. Scranton Button Co. halted production of new records by its Emerson subsidiary in 1928, but the company retained the name and later applied it to a line of radios.
|USA||47||554 Ch= 120057A [Export]||12SA7||Ch=516; Nussbaum|
|USA||35||AR185 Ch= AR||6A7||BC(540-1730kHz) and SW(5.6-18.0MHz) bands. Models with serial numbers below 1326200 use...|
|USA||35||AR171 Ch= AR||6A7||BC(540-1730kHz) and SW(5.6-18.0MHz) bands. Models with serial numbers below 1326200 use...|
|USA||37/38||AT-170 Ch= AT [no push-pull]||6A7||BC(540-1730kHz) and SW(5.6-18.0MHz) bands. Either 6.5" or 10" speaker. Capabi...|
|USA||36/37||K-123 Ch= K||6D6||BC(540-1530kHz) and TROP(1500-3200kHz) bands. Ingraham cabinet.|
|USA||37/38||AM-169 Ch= AM||6A7||BC (540-1730kHz) and SW (5.6-18.0MHz) bands. Ingraham cabinet with "Miracle Tone C...|
|USA||37||AM187 Pagoda Ch= AM||6A7||Repwood, white with gold accents. BC(540-1730kHz) and SW(5.6-18.0MHz) bands.|
|USA||38||AXLW211 Ch= AXLW||6A8GT||LW(157-370kHz) and BC(540-1650kHz) bands.|
|USA||39||AXLW257 Ch= AXLW||6A8GT||LW(157-370kHz) and BC(540-1650kHz) bands. Also 25L6GT and 25Z6GT.|
|USA||37||D134 Ch= D||6K7||BC(540-1800kHz), TROP(1750-6000kHz) and SW(5.5-18.0MHz) bands. Push-pull audio amplifier. ...|
Further details for this manufacturer by the members (rmfiorg):