radiomuseum.org

 
Please click your language flag. Bitte Sprachflagge klicken.

History of the manufacturer  

Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd. (AWA); Sydney

As a member you can upload pictures (but not single models please) and add text.
Both will display your name after an officer has activated your content, and will be displayed under «Further details ...» plus the text also in the forum.
Name: Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd. (AWA); Sydney    (AUS)  
Abbreviation: amalgamate
Products: Model types Tube manufacturer
Summary:

Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd. (AWA); Sydney, New South Wales, was established on July 11th, 1913 by the merger of interests of Marconi and Telefunken. First technical manager was Ernest Thomas Fisk. Later manufacturer of professionel communication equipment. (source Fred Osterman, Reynoldsburg, OH)

Early subsidiary companies set up by AWA.

Australectric Co. was set up by the Directors in September 1918 due to the demand for “Expanse” radio equipment. The company later expanded to importing and manufacturing electrical and X-ray equipment but was voluntary liquidated on September 30, 1926.

Amalgamated Wireless Valve Co., Ltd. was set up by the Directors in April 1932 to acquire the licenses from RCA of America, International General electric, Westinghouse & AWA to manufacture and sell valves in Australia.

Manufacturers Special Products Pty. Ltd. (MSP) set up in August 1938 to manufacturer components for the Australian electronic industry.

Founded: 1913
Production: 1924 -
Documents about this manufacturer/brand
  Published by AWA in 1925. 1814 KB
  AWA Fisk 1931 Brochure. 1244 KB
  AWA Complete List of Radiola Receivers 1925-1938. 2829 KB
  AWA Speaker Transformer Types, 1944 114 KB
  AWA Service Data 1931 1220 KB
History:

The Early Years

1909

AWA commenced operations in 1909 as Australasian Wireless Limited (AWL), as a Telefunken wireless agent.

1912
The English Marconi Company sued the Australian government for infringing their patent and AWL issued writs against firms who were using Marconi equipment. The government decided the best solution would be to use circuits designed by John Balsillie, inventor of the ‘Balsillie System’ of wireless telegraphy.

1913
The two parties settled their differences and July 1913, they formed a new company, Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd. AWA had exclusive rights throughout Australasia to the patents, ‘present and future’, for both Marconi and Telefunken. Later, in 1913, the new company established the Marconi Telefunken College of Telegraphy, later renamed the Marconi School of Wireless (MSW). In 1979 this moved to Launceston, Tasmania and becomes part of the Australian Maritime College.

1916
The first AWA chairman was Sir Hugh Denison and Sir Ernest Fisk, also a founding director, was made General and Technical manager. In 1916 Fisk became Managing Director and in 1932 was made AWA Chairman.

Radio Years
The Australian Government granted AWA the exclusive rights to operate the Coastal Radio Service (CRS), a network of maritime radio stations that eventually included stations in New Guinea that had been hurriedly installed when Japan entered World War II.
The Overseas Telecommunications Act 1946 resulted in the creation of the Overseas Telecommunications Commission and ownership of the CRS was then transferred to this new organisation on 1st October 1946.

1918
The first radio broadcast from the UK to Australia was received by AWA with the then Prime Minister, Billy Hughes, praising the troops he has just inspected on the Western Front.

1922
The Australian Government needed a direct radio service with the UK and they commissioned AWA to create a service. The government increased the new company’s capital and became its majority shareholder.

1923

The first Radiola was released in December 1923. It was a two valve receiver with an optional two valve amplifier. There was a comprehensive three month newspaper advertising campaign prior to the release of the Radiola.

Broadcasting and Media
In addition to being a maker of broadcasting equipment and a leading manufacturer of consumer radios, AWA Broadcasting (eventually to become AWA Media Pty Ltd) was the first and at one time the largest commercial radio network in Australia.
AWA owned and operated many Australian metropolitan and country AM radio stations over the years, including 2CH Sydney, 3MP Melbourne and 6KY Perth. AWA purchased 3XY Melbourne in 1991, relaunching it in 1992 as 3EE (Magic 693). AWA Media soon sold 3EE and 2CH was also sold in 1994.

1926
AWA established two large beam wireless stations on 180 hectare sites; a receiver site in Victoria at Rockbank near Melbourne and a transmitter site at Ballan near Ballarat; this site became known as Fiskville.

1927
A shortwave beam radiotelegraph service was set up between Australia and Britain. This new service undercut the early cable companies and was inaugurated on 8 April 1927, this service continued until 31 May 1969.

1928
AWA established a similar service between Australia and Canada. In April 1930 the Empire radiotelephone service commenced.

1930
AWA transmits the first newsreel pictures from Sydney to London.

The AWA Tower
1939
The famous heritage listed AWA Building at 45-47 York Street in Sydney was completed. It became an instant landmark with its art-deco style and large white radio tower on top, in the shape of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. It was the tallest building in Australia until 1958 and remained the AWA head office until the early 1990s.

Manufacturing
AWA established a joint venture (Amalgamated Wireless Valve Co. Pty Ltd) with Radio Corporation of America (RCA), to manufacture radio valves (vacuum tubes) at the Ashfield works under the AWV, RCA and Radiola brands. During World War II AWV produced a range of defence electronics materiel, including klystrons and magnetrons for radar equipment.

1958
AWV commercialised research work by the AWA Research Laboratories to set up a plant to manufacture transistors and AWA Semiconductors was born. AWA continued to distribute products from RCA Semiconductor into the mid-1980s.

1987
AWA MicroElectronics Pty Ltd was formed to design and manufacture integrated circuits and a fully operational wafer foundry was established in addition to an integrated circuit fabrication     facility and a design centre. This was a joint venture between AWA Ltd (64%), British Aerospace (25%) and the NSW Government (11%). This business was sold off to Quality Semiconductor Australia Pty Limited (now Silanna) in 1996.

Marine Communications
AWA continued in maritime operations supplying marine radio operators to Australian registered vessels. The AWA Marine Division with its headquarters in the Sydney suburb of Leichhardt continued to wholesale marine communications and radar equipment to the Australian maritime and leisure-boating market into the mid-1980s.

Defence Systems
During World War II, the Marconi School trained a large number of military personnel in signals and communications. Additionally, the Department of Defence appropriated and operated the AWA Ballan facility for military radio operations, eventually returning it to civilian operations with the Overseas Telecommunications Commission (OTC).
AWA continued to have major involvement in the Australian defence electronics industry. It worked closely with the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) in developing the electronics in the Ikara anti-submarine weapon, Nulka EW rocket drone, AN/SSQ-801A Barra sonobuoy (with Plessey as Sonobuoys Australia Pty Ltd), Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM), Agile Gliding Bomb and ALR-2002 Radar Warning Receiver, as well as providing support to the initial Jindalee Over The Horizon Radar trials.

1988
AWA Defence Industries (AWADI) was formed by the merger of the defence electronics business of AWA with those of Thorn EMI Electronics Australia and Fairey Australasia.   AWADI was sold to British Aerospace Australia in April 1996.
Immediately after the World War II through to the 1980s, AWA was extensively involved in the design, development and manufacture of advanced aeronautical communications, navigation and surveillance systems.
These systems included the VHF Aural Range (VAR), Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) for airborne use and ground beacons, VHF Omni Range (VOR), Air Traffic Control systems (known as AWANET) and a Microwave Landing System (MLS) called Interscan. Many of these developments were undertaken jointly with the Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) and the Australian Department of Civil Aviation.

The Television Years
AWA engineers started working with Marconi in England on television systems in 1948. AWA was a major manufacturer of television receivers under the AWA Radiola Deep Image brand from the mid-1950s until the relaxation of import tariffs under the Whitlam Government in the early 1970s.

1954
AWA provides the first (experimental) TV broadcast in Australia during Queen Elizabeth II’s  Australian Royal Tour.

1973
With the increased competition in the marketplace, AWA joined forces with Thorn Electrical Industries UK to create AWA-Thorn Consumer Products Limited, to produce colour televisions in Australia. Thorn colour television receivers modified for Australia were marketed as AWA or Thorn models, with local improvements being made to these over the ensuing years.

1971
AWA-Rediffusion Pty. Ltd, a company jointly owned by Rediffusion International and AWA Limited is formed. The business was a platform to enter the Australian market with Rediffusion systems similar to those offered in the UK by RIS/RBE and included products and services such as Reditune Background Music, CCTV, Hotel Audio Distribution and Specialist Information Display Systems.

1974
AWA-Rediffusion moves into the television sales and rental market setting up a chain of retail shops under their Redihire name.

1975
Colour Television finally arrives in Australia around ten years after the UK. Redihire had been preparing for the event for over a year with 6 shops opening in and around the Sydney area with the company’s HQ in Roseville NSW.
Television rental accounted for around 20% initially and so Redihire adopted a ‘rent or buy’ marketing approach from the onset focusing on selling existing models that were being made for AWA-Thorn by Mitsubishi Electric of Japan.
This division of AWA was also the Australian distributor for many audio equipment manufacturers, including Tannoy, Revox and AKG Acoustics.
Later in 1975 the last Australian-made AWA appliances were produced at the company’s Sydney manufacturing plant in Ashfield. From the late 1970s, appliances such as TVs were being made for AWA-Thorn by Mitsubishi Electric of Japan. This division of AWA was also the Australian distributor for many audio equipment manufacturers, including Tannoy, Revox, AKG Acoustics and Clarion (car audio).

1980
AWA moved into TV broadcasting again when it purchased QTQ-9 in Brisbane, which it then sold to Alan Bond in 1985 as part of his Nine Network.

1984
Mitsubishi Electric purchases AWA-Thorn renaming it Mitsubishi Electric AWA Pty Ltd and marketing their VCRs, stereos and TVs in Australia while retaining ‘AWA’ in the brand name.

Computer Technology
1975
AWA brought the first Pick minicomputer system to Australia, and set up a computer services operation.

1984
AWA acquires Electrical Equipment Ltd, a major manufacturer of power transmission equipment and this increases the total employees within the AWA Group to over 10,000 people.

Through the research done in the AWA Research Laboratories, AWA was an early entrant into the design and development of optical fibre technology in Australia. In 1984, AWA, in partnership with Corning of the USA and Metal Manufactures, established Optical Waveguides Australia Pty Ltd (OWA). AWA later sold its interest in OWA, which was eventually purchased fully by Corning to become Corning Noble Park, but closed in 2003.

 

 

1987

AWA reported $49 million in foreign exchange losses due to unauthorised trading in 1986 and 1987. Over the next ten years this became a landmark legal case in Australia. There were legal proceedings against the auditors for failing to identify the trading, as well as cross claims against the company’s directors, the foreign exchange trader and the banks involved. In May 2010 the employee at the centre of the foreign exchange losses, Andrew Koval, was extradited from the United States to face criminal charges. He had previously defended a civil suit in relation to this matter.

1988

AWA was renamed AWA Limited and in August 1988 the telephone manufacturing and related businesses were sold to Exicom Ltd. Computer Technology Services In the late 1980s AWA established AWASCo Pty Ltd, a joint venture with Serco Group plc of the UK. The company provided facilities management services to Federal and State agencies and Serco went on to purchase AWA’s share and formed Serco Australia.

1989

AWA Computer Support Services became an independent business unit. In the early 1990s unable to compete with cheaper imported appliances, AWA exited the field of domestic appliances and consumer electronics and focused on information technology services.

1991

AWA acquired Smorgon Technologies, a world leader in totalisator systems. The company developed and operated state-of-art wagering systems that were installed around the world. Communications The AWA Communications Division was a developer and vendor of telephone and radio communications systems, in particular microwave radio. The division merged with Plessey Communications to form AWA Plessey Communications Division.

2001

AWA share in the group was sold to Plessey Corporation and became Plessey Asia Pacific Communications Division; this was then sold and renamed Longreach Wireless. AWA was acquired by Jupiters Limited, who were then acquired by Tabcorp.

ICT Solutions and Services.

2004

AWA was spun off, and once again become an independent company, AWA Limited.

2006

AWA acquired Telefix Sales Pty Ltd, a successful service business for home entertainment products.

2013

AWA is proud to celebrate over 100 years in the technology business.

2014

AWA went into administration in February, 2014 and was bought by not-for-profit Catholic healthcare provider Cabrini Health Limited. Today, AWA provides independent technology service solutions for large organisations, ICT and AV vendors, resellers, distributors and outsourcers. With offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, and Newcastle plus a national network of more than 700 service agents AWA provides a truly national service network.

This manufacturer was suggested by Peter Hughes.


Some models:
Country Year Name 1st Tube Notes
AUS  76–78 Deep Image C619   34cm (14") portable colour television receiver. White cabinet. 
AUS  71/72 Canaveral K132 Ch= 50-23   24" television receiver. Cabinet finishes available in Walnut, Teak & Maple. 
AUS  81/82 Multifeature 4 Band Double Cassette Recorder SB213    
AUS  73/74 Radiola CR-23   Rebadged Conion CR-23. Supplied with carrying case & earpiece. Made in Japan. 
AUS  48 Radiola 801GZ 6J8G  Automatic record changer version of Model 801G. See also Hotpoint-Bandmaster Model N55DGX. 
AUS  50 Radiolagram 807   Battery powered dual-wave radiogram with wind-up sping motor gramophone & crystal pick... 
AUS  49 Radiolagram 802GX   All-wave radiogram with single-speed record changer. 
AUS  52 Radiolagram 809GX   Dual-wave radiogram with 3-speed record changer. 
AUS  49/50 Radiolette 516MZ   Case in Ivory or Walnut. 
AUS  49/50 Radiolette 516MY   Case in Walnut & Ivory. 
AUS  61–64 Magictape Robuk RK3   AWA Magictape branded Robuk RK3 3-speed, dual-track tape recorder. 
AUS  53 Magictape ST1 6AU6  Portable dual-tack tape recorder; 7½" per sec. 

[rmxhdet-en]

Further details for this manufacturer by the members (rmfiorg):

Advertisment from in "west Australian Wireless News" November 16, 1933. Listing AWA radios sold by Wyper Howard Ltd. Perth western Australia.tbn_aus_awa_advert_1933.jpg
As advertised in "West Australian Wireless News" December 14, 1935tbn_aus_awa_advert_1935.jpg
Advertisment from the "Radio Retailer", August 14, 1936 for the colour Fisk Radiolette models.tbn_aus_awa_radiolette_ad.jpg
AWA advertisment,Wireless Weekly – 29 August, 1924tbn_aus_awa_ad_1924.png
The famous heritage listed AWA Building at 45-47 York Street in Sydney was completed in 1939. It became an instant landmark with its art-deco style and large white radio tower on top, in the shape of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. It was the tallest building in Australia until 1958 and remained the AWA head office until the early 1990stbn_aus_awa_tower.jpg
AWA Logo 2014tbn_aus_awa_logo_2015.jpg
AWA Logo c1940'stbn_aus_awa_logo_early.jpg
Advertisement from the "Taralga Echo" Melbourne December 20, 1924tbn_aus_awa_ad_1924.jpg
AWA's radio progress 1913 to 1934 From the “Australian Women’s weekly, April 6, 1935.tbn_aus_awa_progress_1935.jpg
Australia’s Trans-Ocean Wireless Telephone Service was pioneered by AWA on April 30, 1939. Map from Radio Trade Annual 1939, Page 147.tbn_aus_awa_1939_internation_rt_service_map.jpg
By 1939 the commercial development of aviation had opened up a new and extensive field for wireless purposes. Passenger and mail carrying aircraft were fitted with specially designed radio sets suitable for transmission and reception of both wireless telegraph and telephone. In many cases both short wave and medium wave was used. AWA provided and installed transmitting & receiving stations at airport and locations around Australia to the order of the Civil Aviation authority. Bellini-Tose direct finding was also provided. All the equipment was manufactured by AWA. Map from Radio Trade Annual 1939, Page 149.tbn_aus_awa_aircraft_wireless_service_1939.jpg
New company notice, Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd. AWA had exclusive rights throughout Australasia to the patents, ‘present and future’, for both Marconi and Telefunken. From the Sun(NSW), 15 July 1914, page 2.tbn_aus_awa_new_company_sun_15_7_13p2.jpg
Marconi Telefunken College of Telegraphy advert. From the Freeman's Journal (NSW), 16 4 1914, page 27.tbn_aus_awa_school_advert_freemans_journal_16_4_14p27.jpg
AWA Australian trademark application for “Radiola” was accepted on 20 December 1922. Daily Commercial News and Shipping List ( NSW) 20 Dec 1922 Page 11tbn_aus_awa_radiola_trademark_20_12_22p11.jpg
AWA Australian trademark application for “Radiolette” on the 20 January 1924. Daily Commercial News and Shipping List ( NSW) 30 Jan 1924 Page 11tbn_aus_awa_radiolette_trademark_registered_20_1_24p11.jpg
AWA directors set up a subsidiary company known as Australectric Co. in September 1918 to manufacture Expanse equipment. From Radio in Australia & New Zealand, April 3, 1923.tbn_aus_awa_a_nz_april_4_1923.jpg
AWA Radio Guide tube list 1927tbn_awa_1927_radio_guide_tube_list.png
AWA manufactured test equipment. Electronics Australia, April 1965, page 32.tbn_aus_awa_ea_april_1965.jpg
1937 Radiolette brochure listing the “Empire State” series radios and Radiolette Console prices in 1937.tbn_aus_awa_radiolette_advert.jpg
Christmas 1933 release of Radiola's and Radiolette's. The Grenfell Record and Lachlan District Advertiser(NSW) Dec 21, 1933,P3.tbn_aus_awa_the_grenfell_record_and_lachlan_district_advertiser_nsw_dec_21_1933_p3.jpg

Forum contributions about this manufacturer/brand
Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd. (AWA); Sydney
Threads: 1 | Posts: 3
Hits: 1891     Replies: 2
AWA Model Numbers - Significance of a suffix
Brian Wilson
17.Feb.14
  1

I noticed on the site for the AWA 208PY that an AWA 208P that I have just obtained differs in minor ways from the later 208PY. In fact, the suffix indicates a MINOR revision of the circuit/schematic. The order is Original ----- No Suffix. First revision ----- Suffix = "Z". Second revision ------ Suffix = "Y". Third revision ------- Suffix = "X". I have not seen a Suffix "W" but that is not absolute proof of anything. The suffix does not seem to appear in advertising in anything that I have seen between 1956 and 1975. ALSO This "Suffix System" flows on into radios made by AWA for Email Pty Ltd and others. In the period from 1957 to 1975, Westinghouse, Hotpoint, Airzone are all re-branded AWA models. It may that there are others as well where this system was used - particularly for "Store Brand" radios and car radios made by AWA for various car manufacturers and assemblers in Australia.

Gary Cowans
13.Jan.19
  2

Explanation from John McIlwaine, AWA Historian and long term employee of AWA on the model number suffix revisions;

He states the AWA first model number for say a model is 208 P, (P) being for portable, for modifications to the first model only three engineering changes could be made and the letter suffixes X, first change, Y second change and finally Z were used and added to the original 208P thus 208PX, 208PY and 208PZ

.No more changes could be made to the model after three changes, and a new model number would be required. This system was vital to rationalise service manuals and spare parts ordering in the field.

Martin Kent
13.Jan.19
  3

Brian Wilsons observation is correct:

In this example 805GY is the second change (after Z). In this case the T & R suffix indicate that those versions use a 3-speed automatic changer as opposed to Y & W versions single speed changer. The differences between the T & R version could be simply just a different brand or type of record changer. Also some suffixes such as S or U may not have been used in this system. In the case of the 805G a X version is currently not known.

 
Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd. (AWA); Sydney
End of forum contributions about this manufacturer/brand

  
rmXorg